As a kid, I always begged my mom to make sugar cookies because I loved to decorate them. There was nothing more satisfying then covering a tree shaped cookie with green frosting and a million sprinkles. It was a true masterpiece – a Christmas sugar high! While I would still be happy eating one of the cookies my 8-year-old self decorated, I like to think I’ve become much more sophisticated over the years, and so this year I made gluten free sugar cookies with candied citrus or chocolate and peppermint. Fancy, I know!
These cookies are perfect for the holidays – they don’t take too long and they don’t have a ton of sugar in them.
- 1 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 baking flour
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp half and half
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix together with a fork or pastry cutter until dough begins to form.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and gently knead until a smooth ball is formed. If it is not smoothing out after it has warmed up between your hands, add 1 tsp milk at a time until it does. Roll between 2 pieces of parchment and cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned along the edges.
Adapted from Cara Reed's The Perfect Sugar Cookie from Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking
Now you are ready to decorate! To make the candied citrus cookies, start by making the candied citrus. I used this easy candied citrus recipe from Martha Stewart. When it the peels are candied, mix up a quick batch of royal icing. All you need to do is mix up 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tbsp of milk until the icing is well blended. If the icing is too thick, add a teaspoon of milk to the mixture. Spread the icing on the cookies and top with the candied citrus peels.
To make the chocolate and peppermint cookies, melt the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave. (If you choose to melt the chocolate in the microwave, melt in 30-second intervals, stirring in between each.) Dip the cookies in the chocolate and cover in crushed peppermint. Let the chocolate harden completely before serving.
These cookies are the perfect holiday treat. Decorate them with your favorite icing or topping and you have a winner!
This post is party of The Sweetest Season cookie recipe exchange. I’ve teamed up with 50 other bloggers to bring you The Sweetest Season’s Sweetest Cookie Giveaway! We’ve put together an incredible cookie baking prize package, and I can’t wait to tell you more about it!
row two: The Speckled Palate | The Gift of Gab | think fruitful | Majorly Delicious | Sugar Dish Me | An Oregon Cottage | A Savory Feast | The Foodie Patootie | Twin Stripe | Hidden Fruits and Veggies
row three: Appeasing a Food Geek | DC Girl in Pearls | Bessie Bakes | Brunch with Joy | Cooking With Libby | 2 Cookin Mamas | Lou Lou Biscuit | Me and My Pink Mixer | Wetherills Say I Do | The Little Epicurean
row four: The Emotional Baker | Cake ‘n Knife | Glisten and Grace | Meredith Noelle | The Secret Ingredient [is love] | SammaSpot | Hey There Sunshine | Natasha Red Blog | Flavors & Sabores | Macheesmo
row five: Beer Girl Cooks | My California Roots | Butchers Niche | The Skinny Pot | Sustaining the Powers | Feast + West | Not Your Average Southern Belle | Vanilla And Bean | Our Life Inspired | That Square Plate
Be sure to check out our blogs to see all of our cookie recipes throughout the week! We’re using the hashtag #sweetestseasoncookies on social media this week, and we’re joining even more bloggers baking cookies, so it’s going to be a grand time!
Now, on to the giveaway!
A whopping 51 bloggers teamed up to bring you an awesome cookie-centric giveaway! We picked out a stand mixer and other goodies to make baking this season go smoothly. And, a big thank you goes out to the generous sponsors who helped with The Sweetest Season by organizing, as well as providing products to the participating bloggers and donating some incredible prizes for our giveaway! Be sure to check out Imperial Sugar, Dixie Crystals, Bob’s Red Mill, Cabot Creamery and The Crumby Cupcake for lots of great recipe ideas. And check out Garnishing Co., who designed our graphics.
The Sweetest Cookie Prize Pack we’re giving away is worth $690! See the Rafflecopter below to enter to win this amazing set of cookie baking goodies. The prize pack includes:
- One KitchenAid 5-Qt. Artisan Design Series Stand Mixer with Glass Bowl in Sugar Pearl Silver // $315 value
- One $50 Bob’s Red Mill gift card and one exclusive set of Bob’s Red Mill products: One 5-lb. bag Organic All Purpose Flour, one 5-lb. bag Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, one 40-oz. bag Almond Meal, one 28-oz. bag Sparkling Sugar, one 28-oz. bag Cane Sugar // $95 value
- Two 4-lb. bags of Imperial Sugar/Dixie Crystals granulated sugar, one My First Cookbook and a silicone baking mat // $50 value
- Coupons for $40 worth of Cabot Creamery products, including butter and yogurt // $40 value
- One OXO Good Grips 5-Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl // $35 value
- One Jenaluca Stainless Steel Medium Cookie Scoop // $33 value
- One 2-piece Calphalon Nonstick Baking Sheet Set // $30 value
- One 10” x 15” Stainless Steel Metal Cooling Rack // $25 value
- One 7-piece OXO Good Grips Multi-colored Nesting Measuring Beaker Set // $20 value
- One GIR: Get It Right Ultimate Spatula in Gray // $19 value
- One 5-piece R & M Snowflake Cookie Cutter Set // $10 value
- One OXO Good Grips 11” Balloon Whisk // $10 value
- One OXO Good Grips Silicone Cookie Spatula // $8 value
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 65 total entries by following the giveaway sponsors on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the information as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. CST. One winner will be chosen at random and e-mailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $690. Prizes listed above are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of December 5, 2015.
- To read all giveaway terms and conditions, visit the giveaway terms and conditions page or click the option in the Rafflecopter below to review them.
I received free product from Imperial Sugar, Dixie Crystals and Bob’s Red Mill as part of The Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Twin Stripe!