Many people are not aware of the importance of properly cleaning a kitchen drain. If you have any food particles, hair, or other debris in your sink’s drain line, then it can lead to significant clogs that will create an unpleasant smell and cause water pressure problems.
Show your drain some love by controlling what goes into them and regularly flushing to keep the debris out. Try implementing a weekly cleaning routine and keep your kitchen clean.
Read more about how to properly clean the drain in your kitchen here.
How to Properly Clean Your Kitchen Drain
1. Flushing the Drain with Water
The first way to clean the drain is by flushing it with water. This can be done by filling the sink with hot water and then slowly pouring it down the drain.
It would be best if you also poured a cup of baking soda down the drain simultaneously. Baking soda is a natural degreaser and will help remove any food particles or grease that may be stuck in the drain.
Here are the step by step instructions for flushing the drain with water:
- Step 1: Boil the Water: Pour a pot of boiling water into the sink and let it sit for a few minutes. This will help loosen any food particles stuck in the pipes.
- Step 2: Pour Down Baking Soda: Pour a cup of baking soda down the drain, as well as some white vinegar. The baking soda will help break up any clogs, while the white vinegar helps remove any odor from household chemicals.
- Step 3: Flush Down Drain with Hot Water: Fill up your sink with hot water, slowly pour it down the drain, and repeat if necessary.
- Step 4: Repeat Process Once a Month: The next time you are doing dishes, make sure you flush the drain with hot water to remove any food particles accumulated. It would be best to do this once a month as part of your regular cleaning routine.
2. Using a Plunger
If flushing the drain with water doesn’t seem to work, you can try using a plunger. A plunger creates a suction effect that can help loosen any clogs in the drain.
Here are the step by step instructions for using a plunger:
- Step One: Fill up the Sink with Water: Fill up your sink with enough water so that the plunger will have a good seal.
- Step Two: Place the Plunger over the Drain: Put the plunger over the drain and ensure that the suction cup is completely covered.
- Step Three: Push and Pull the Plunger: Push and pull the plunger up and down for a few minutes. This will help create the suction effect and loosen any clogs in the drain.
- Step Four: Flush the Sink with Hot Water: Once you have cleared the clog, flush the sink with hot water to remove any remaining debris.
- Step Five: Repeat as Necessary: If the plunger doesn’t seem to be working, you may need to try a different plunger or try using a drain snake. You may also want to contact a plumber if the plunger doesn’t clear out your clog.
3. Using a Drain Snake
If the plunger and water flushing methods don’t work, you can try using a drain snake. A drain snake is a long cable with a spring coil in the end. This allows it to fit into pipes and help break up any clogs in your drain.
Here are the step by step instructions for using a drain snake:
- Step One: Feed the Cable into the Drain Pipe: Start at the top of the drain pipe and slowly feed the cable into the pipe.
- Step Two: Push and Twist Cable through Pipe: Once the cable is in the pipe, push and twist it through until you reach the clog.
- Step Three: Remove Clog with Cable: Carefully remove the clog with the cable. The spring coil should help break up any large pieces of debris stuck in the drain pipe.
- Step Four: Flush the Pipe with Hot Water: Once you have cleared the clog, flush the pipe with hot water to remove any remaining debris.
- Step Five: Repeat as Necessary: If the cable doesn’t seem to be working, you may need to try a different drain snake or try using a plunger. You may also want to contact a plumber if the cable doesn’t clear out your clog.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Keep My Drain Lines Clean?
The best way to keep your drain lines clean is by regularly flushing them with hot water. You should also do this once a month as part of your regular cleaning routine. If the plunger and water flushing methods don’t work, you can try using a drain snake. You may also want to contact a plumber if the cable doesn’t clear out your clog.
How Do I Clean Plumbing Pipes in My House?
Foaming a vinegar mixture and baking soda seems to do the trick pretty well. They provide a natural way to remove the clogs without damage to the pipes. If this fails, Hot water and dish soap can be flushed down the pipes.
How to Clean Kitchen Drain Smell?
Sometimes a kitchen stain can emit a musty smell that may be unpleasant. A handful of baking powder down the drain will act as a natural degreaser. This, coupled with hot water, will help keep your kitchen drain clean.
Keep Your Kitchen Drain Clean
These are the three best methods for unclogging your kitchen sink. If you can, try to remove any large pieces of debris stuck in your drain. You can do this by flushing the pipe with hot water and letting it sit for several minutes to loosen any food particles.
Contact a certified plumber if you have tried everything and it’s still not working out for you. An experienced plumber can handle any clogs and ensure you enjoy a clean drain.