Technology has entered every sphere of lives with the world becoming more modernized day-by-day. And the kitchen is definitely not an exception to this advancement.
New developments in the field of technology pertaining to different uses keeps on emerging with the passage of time to make the lives of people much more convenient. One such technological development is Refrigerator, which is much commonly called Fridge in households and the domestic domains of life.
This development is regarded as a boon as it prevents food items etc. from reaching the stage of being a waste by preventing it through maintaining a standard temperature. Thus, it is a significant contributor to maintaining food items. Not only this, it helps in cooling out things and provides us some chilling and tasty food items.
How about the ice-creams in this summer season??… I presume your mouth has already started watering. I’m already having a craving for chilled ice-cream. The Fridge or the Refrigerator can surely provide you with it.
The point we will be discussing in this article is that the Fridge and Refrigerator are normally regarded as the same technological equipment to be used in households, restaurants etc.
But the question is Is Fridge and Refrigerator the same equipment or there are some points of differences between the two?
The answer to this question is that YES, there are points which carve out the difference between Refrigerator and Fridge.
The following section of this article will state the history with an aim to bring to forefront the root of these two terms and will then move ahead to state the differences between the two terms to make it clear to the readers that Fridge and Refrigerator is not the same.
So, what are we waiting for???
Let’s move ahead and clear this much widespread confusion.
History of how the two terms Fridge and Refrigerator emerged?
The emergence of the two words, Fridge and Refrigerator, traces back to the much celebrated and popular brand of home appliances, Frigidaire.
This company was initially renowned by the name of Guardian Fregerator Company. The roots of this company were first laid down in Fort Wayne, Indiana in the year 1916. This initial name of the company was changed to Frigidaire after William C. Durrant, the General Motor Founder, made an investment in the company in the year 1919.
This company with a transformed name touched the heights of success and the term Fridge came is popular usage for the initial models made by this company. As and when the company progressed towards the more technologically advanced models, these new models which differed from the traditional initial models of the company came to be known as Refrigerators.
So, this was the history of how both these terms came into existence.
Now, let’s move ahead and Mark out the differences between the two.
Differences between Fridge and Refrigerator
Fridge and Refrigerator are the two terms which could very often be seen as used in an interchangeable manner. But it’s not that there are no differences between the two.
Yes, there could be no denial to the fact that the purpose of the Fridge and the Refrigerator are more or less the same. But the differences exist as well.
But the question is what are the basis of these differences. The points of differences are basically categorised under three broad parameters which are stated in the next section.
What are the three broad parameters of differences between Fridge and Refrigerator?
The three broad parameters which will act as the basis to differentiate Fridge from Refrigerator are as follows:
- Physical Appearance
- Differences based on the Temperature and Functionality
- Difference in purpose of the two
So, having stated the basis let’s begin with the differences.
Points of Differences
Following points will clearly bring to forefront the difference between Fridge and Refrigerator based on the above stated parameters.
Differences based on Physical Appearance
- The first difference between the two is that Refrigerators are the upgraded version of Fridges and thus are more powerful and have more features than the Fridge.
- The Fridges are available in various sizes but don’t have a freezer in them. Refrigerators, on the other hand, have in-built freezers in them. Freezing mechanism is not installed in Fridges to make its structure compact as compared to the Refrigerators.
- Refrigerators are large in size as per its structure and are widely used in restaurants, commercial spots, residential homes etc. The Fridges are comparatively smaller in size and thus, can be often noticed in places like small bars, hotel rooms etc. An example of it could be Mini-Fridges.
Differences based on the Temperature and Functionality
- The Refrigerators usually maintain the temperature few degrees above the freezing point to ensure preservation of items stored in it through optimal levels. The Freezer section of the Refrigerator maintains the temperature before the freezing point of water and ensures that the item stored in it is frozen until taken out of the compartment.
However, the Fridges are only optimised enough to cool down the items stored by maintaining the standard lower temperature needed for preservation of the items.
- The preservation standards of the Refrigerator are surely higher than the Fridges because of the obvious reason of Refrigerators being more technologically advanced.
Differences based on the Purpose of both Fridge and Refrigerator
- The purpose of Freezing items could only be done by the Refrigerators through the Freezing compartment. It can’t be done using Fridges as these just serve the purpose of preserving stuff on the standard normal cooling temperatures.
- If we need to store more food items, then the Refrigerators would best suit the purpose than the Fridges as the large size of the Refrigerators and the additional Freezing compartment provides more space for storing the food.
So, the above stated were the main points of differences which could be noticed between Fridges and Refrigerators on the basis of the three parameters.
Now, the question which arises is…
Which one is the Best: Fridge or Refrigerator?
There is no specific answer to this question. This is because the choice out of the two is completely subjective and will be completely based on the personal preferences, need and affordability.
If your need is just to preserve the small quantity of food, then the Fridge will be sufficient to fulfill your needs. You can go ahead with opting for the Refrigerators in case you need to store large quantities of food or you wish to avail the facility of Freezing.
Thus, both are best for the purpose this fulfill. It’s just the personal needs and preferences which could influence the choice of an individual.
So, I hope the confusion of Fridge and Refrigerator being the same appliance is clear by now.
I’m sure that the above stated points would have somehow helped you in clearing the myth of Fridge and Refrigerator being interchangeable terms and this fulfills the purpose of this article.
Thus, we finally move towards the conclusion of this article.
We can conclude this article with the clarity that despite the almost similar functions served by Fridge and Refrigerator, there exist the points which differentiates the two. Thus, the two are not actually the same.