Some people love cookies, while others prefer brownies.
Whatever your preference, you can always make your favorite treat a little bit better by pressing your own dough into fun shapes.
If youre not sure which cookie press is right for you, take a look at our helpful guide.
Weve compiled the pros and cons of the top models of presses out there and show you what to look for when shopping for one.
Cheese straws are a delicious pastry snack made of fluffy, flaky pastries and cheese.
It is a popular snack or side dish that is typically eaten in the US and England’s Southern regions.
If you would like a treat occasionally, or just want to nibble on tidbits, cheese straws are the best for you!
But that brings us to the question, ‘How do they make cheese straws?’
Life is full of desires which we wish to be fulfilled overtime and the necessities which are important to be fulfilled for one’s survival. One such necessity is food but it is much beyond a necessity for many people, it is love, passion, a field of exploration and a profession for many.
To define food for myself, I would say it is love. I am a foodie like many others out there and love to experiment with my taste by cooking new things, trying different restaurants and cuisines and then making my best pick, my foodie list which is constantly updating with the every new dish I taste and fall in love with. And the recent addition to my foodie list is that of Cheese Straws. I’m sure there are many people like me who love cheese. If you are one of them, Cheese Straws is surely something you should taste and see if you like it or not. Personally, I’m in love with it.
Cheese Straws can easily be prepared at home using the Cookie Press but the point to wonder about is that Which Cookie Press is the best?
This brings us to the point of discussion of this article. My love for Cheese Straws propelled me to discover more about the Best Cookie Press using which I could easily make this snack at home. And thus, I’m here to share with you all the answer to the further stated question : What’s the Best Cookie Press for Making Cheese Straws?
Cheese straws are made from butter, cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika, by cutting pieces. Cutting the strips would need the use of a cookie press. As the name suggests, a cookie press is a kind of cylindrical instrument used for shaping cookies, and anything else you choose to create from a mixture of flour or a recipe. But don’t overdo it, as these aren’t the healthiest items you might want to snack on.
What is a Cookie Press?
A cookie press is yet another equipment which can be used in the kitchen to make snacks. This equipment is cylindrical in shape and has a plunger on one side of it and a hole on the other side. On the side of the equipment where there is a hole, you can add the various perforated plates which come with this equipment. These plates can be used interchangeably as per the shape you wish to use.
These plates are of different shapes so that dough when pushed into it comes out in different shapes. Cheese Straws are the cookies popular to be eaten during the holidays and thus, having it in different fun shapes makes it even more fun and interesting.
Now, let’s have a look at Cheese Straws.
What are Cheese Straws?
Cheese Straws are a pastry snack which adds more fun taste to your times of fun and relaxation. These snacks are prepared using a light flaky pastry and the cheese and can accompany your soup well during the dinner parties or can be your go-to snack on the normal days whenever you feel like eating it. However, it is definitely suggested to not eat in huge quantities since it’s surely not a healthier option in snacks to go ahead with.
The most interesting thing which I like about Cheese Straws is that you can modify their tastes as per your individual preferences. These snacks are quite versatile and you can add your own personal touch to it to make it taste even better. So far, I have come across many varieties of Cheese Straws like that of jalapeño white cheddar cheese straws, blue cheese straws and many more. You definitely have the choice of the shape of these snacks, like you can either cut in into small slices or just push the dough through a Cookie Press to have them in different shapes and sizes. However, this snack is definitely a delight which shouldn’t be missed.
I’m sure this description of the Cheese Straws would have left many people’s mouth watering with the craving to eat this snack. So, why not prepare this snack using the following recipe and satisfy your cravings.
For this process, you will need:
- Softened butter
- A 1 lb block of sharp cheddar
- Ground red pepper
- All-purpose flour
- Shred the cheese, and then mix the butter, cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika into a delicious paste.
- Mix them in a mixing dish, softly but thoroughly.
- Little by little add the flour, mix it in as you go. You should be left with perfect, crispy dough.
- For the dough press, pick the opening design of your choice. Stars are really common, so you may want to pick the Christmas tree if it’s December.
- To make long ribbons, press the dough into the cookie press, which you can then cut into shorter lines.
- Note: Check the cookie presses guide book to confirm that you’re doing it properly. If not, you could break your cheese straws, and that would be a tragedy!
- Bake the strips for about ten minutes on some baking paper in the oven at 350°F, or until they’re well browned.
- Chill them on a wire rack for about thirty minutes, until you’re confident that they’re cooked to your taste.
- Serve the cheese straws together with a good tomato bowl and basil sauce, or even in a light salad.
Now that you know how to make your tasty cheese straws, let us check out a list of the best cookie presses for making cheese straws.
For all you cooking fans out there, I would say that a cookie press is a must-have culinary instrument. There are many choices to pick from. A cookie press has different styles, although it looks identical.
Maybe what suits one chef is not the perfect match for another.
I conducted a review to identify the best cookie press to help you in the buying process, including the best plastic cookie press and the best cheese straw cookie press.
You’ll find relevant products, design, accessories, and more specifics.
The Cookie Press OXO Good Grips is a popular choice among experienced cheese straw makers. When in use, the non-slip base keeps the press on the countertop stable. It keeps the straws on the cheese nice and orderly.
The long handle gives the dough a greater strength and the simple cylinder helps you to see just how much dough was used. To accommodate several seasons it includes twelve different stainless steel disks in various styles. They come in a small, portable storage case, so you’re not going to forget them over the counter.
This is one of the most popularly chosen options for those who need it for the seasoned cheese straws. It has a non-slip base which helps to keep the press steady while using and this ultimately results in the uniform straws. It has a long handle which makes the dispensing of the dough much easier and the transparency of the cylinder allows you to see the amount of dough which is inside it and how much of it has been consumed.
- Comfortable lever designed with press dimensions: 5.75 x 2.75 x 10.25 inches and storage case dimensions : 2 x 5 x 2.1 inches
- Comes with Storage Case
- Twelve Stainless Steel Disks: Daisy, Flower, Sunflower, Fleur-de-lis, Butterfly, Bear, Shell, Leaf, Heart, Snowflake, Tree, and Wreath
- Creates uniform cookies every occasion
- Non-slip bottom keeps the press steady while dispensing dough
- The cylinder shows remaining dough and removes for easy filling and washing
- If you experience an issue with your goods, get in touch with them for a repair or replacement.
- A few verified reviewers say that their OXO Good Grips Cookie Press broke right after buying it.
- The dough may stick to the disc instead of the cookie sheet.
Along with this side, there comes a storage case which consists of 12 plates of different designs to suit different seasons and occasions. These plates are made of Stainless Steel and can interchangeably be used on one of the ends of the cylindrical structure of the press as per our choice.
OXO Good Grips Cookie Press has proved to be quite effective in terms of its performance and structure. It has a giant lever which makes its functioning even more easier. Thus, this can be one of your go-to options for the Cookie Press.
Check the product out on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Cookie-Stainless-Storage
Fante’s Easy Cookie Press, which is simple to use, extrudes cookie dough and other firm dough into various aesthetic shapes. The sliding plate consists of five conventional types. The cookie press is great for cooking cheese straws and a chocolate cookie snack for the family, or butter cookies, as well as other cookie press items.
- Extrudes firm dough into many creative shapes
- Five traditional shapes slide into place for easy cookies and other treats such as cheese straws
- Easy to load and use
- Each turn of the handle pushes the dough effortlessly
- Disassembles for easy washing; hand wash in warm, soapy water and dry completely
- Includes complete directions and Fante’s family recipe
- May be hard to dry after cleaning
- Some verified reviewers commented that the product leaks from the tip end while attempting to make cookies
Check the product out on Amazon here:
The Marcato Atlas Deluxe Cookie Press is manufactured by an Italian company. It provides superb quality and dependable design for most cooking lovers. To make original cookies, you can choose between twenty metal disks. It is appropriate for a large party, as twenty large cookies and forty small ones can be made.
The Marcato Deluxe Biscuit Maker is a wonderful cheese straw cookie press. The adjustable size feature offers increased flexibility. It also has a lockable ring that lets you select the right shape of the cookie you want. Customers get the best experience with a simple and safe-to-use solid metal design.
The Marcato Deluxe has always been a great cookie press for making cheese straws. This cookie press paired with a ten-year guarantee from the manufacturer is a notable addition to any home. By using warm water and mild soap, you need to rinse it and wipe it with a cloth.
- Extrudes firm dough into artistic patterns for easy cookies and other treats without cutting or rolling the dough
- Marcato’s Deluxe Atlas biscuit maker is made in Italy
- Comes with a biscuit maker
- Select from the colours black, silver, blue and red
- Twenty discs for traditional cookie shapes
- Can make around thirty-five to forty small cookies and twenty to twenty-five large cookie
- Disassembles for washing; Hand wash in warm, soapy water
- Full guidance and ten-year manufacturer’s guarantee
- The Marcato Deluxe Biscuit Maker comes with twenty different templates to create your special cheese straws.
- Easily change cookie sizes from big to small with simply the turn of a knob. You can determine the size of the cookie you would like to make by rotating the regulator to either create smaller or larger cookies.
- For simple washing, the handle disassembles from the tube.
- Marcato Deluxe Biscuit Maker is made of stainless steel, and therefore it is robust and sturdy.
- Ergonomic design
- More straightforward and less messy than cookie cutters
- A few verified users commented that they feel the tube capacity to be too tiny. Among most consumers, this isn’t a commonly mentioned problem.
Check the product out on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Marcato-Deluxe-Biscuit-Cookie-Stainless/
This model is yet another cookie press which is very effective in making the Cheese Straws. It is a model by an Italian company. The package of the Marcato Deluxe Biscuit maker is accompanied with the 20 metal plates of different designs for you to choose the design of your Cheese Straws at different occasions. One of the advantages of this model is that the handle of it can be unscrewed and screwed again. Thus, it can be removed while cleaning and this makes this model quite easy to clean after usage.
This model will offer you the four colour options which includes black, silver, blue and red and since this press is made of Stainless Steel, it makes it a strongly built product which is quite durable. This durability comes assured in the fact that this product comes with 10 years of warranty. The additional feature in this model is a regulator and a locking ring. Regulator helps you in deciding the size of the cookies i.e. whether you wish to make a large or the small size cookies and the locking ring would help you decide the shape of the cookie. Thus, this model offers you many good features to modify your Cheese Straws as per your preferences.
Thus, if you are looking for the Cookie Press, the above stated models and their features will definitely help you to decide that which model will be the best pick for you.
The Wilton Cookie Pro Ultra II is a lower-priced cookie press, with most of the same functionalities as the OXO device, such as the non-slip base and a clear cylinder. This version comes with a better variety of cookie designs but lacks the efficient case for storage. You will have to pull it up, rather than pushing the handle down as if trying to pull a trigger on a hose pipe.
This model of Cookie Presser has some of the same features as OXO Good Grips Cookie Press. It has the cylindrical structure and the transparent shape. The point at which this model differs from that of the OXO model is that the Wilton model offers more options in terms of cookie designs than the former model. But as truly said, everything has its pros and cons. Thus, the Wilton model will definitely offer you more cookie designs but it has a disadvantage that the storage case of this model is not convenient. Also the structure is such that you need to pull the handle upwards to make it work instead of pushing it down which would have been comparatively easier.
- Small in size
- Weight of around 10.4 ounces
- A clear barrel that enables you to monitor the intake of dough.
- Includes 12 plastic disks with different patterns (flowers, pumpkin, ribbon and Christmas tree)
- Easy to use and clean
- It takes a few squeezes to get used to the flow, but then, the cookies come out effortlessly.
- The disks might be too little to seat correctly
Check the product out on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Cookie-Ultra-Bonus-Disks/
This model of Cookie Press is comparatively smaller in size with its sizes measuring 5.5 by 2.0 by 8.0 inches and has a weight of approximately 10.4 ounces. 12 plastic disks of different designs are included in this package with every part of this model being easy to be cleaned using warm water.
The DKST Kitchen Press is wonderful, but it is on the pricey side. The stainless steel press is larger than others on the market and is very robust. This large cookie press yields a good amount of cookies or cheese straws. Its sturdy style ensures it can withstand a harder dough than most others. The DKST Kitchen Press comes with twenty-five disks of designer, and a mini-book of recipes.
- Twenty-Five per cent larger cylinder than same design or models
- 13.5 Fluid Ounces Volume
- No more rolling pin required
- Make the best cheese straws, sugar biscuits and butter cookies
- Guaranteed customer satisfaction- If you are dissatisfied with your DKST Kitchen Cookie Press for just about any reason they offer a full refund, no questions asked.
- Does not have a clear cylinder: Despite not having a clear cylinder, it does have almost everything.
- High price: The DKST Kitchen Press currently sells at the high end of the range for those prepared to invest somewhat more.
Check the product out on Amazon here:
My mother has been making Cheese Straws since forever. In 2002, she bought her old Kuhn Rikon Press. She has had the last one for over a decade and made at least a dozen double lots of cheese straws.
Recently, I bought the new Kuhn Rikon Cookie Press. The primary distinction between the old and the new one was the cylinder made up of solid stainless steel. For the thickness of cheese straw batter, it requires a special press to go through it. I would definitely recommend you to use the Kuhn Rikon Cookie Press.
- One clear barrel cookie press
- Fourteen interchangeable disk designs
- Recipes & easy-to-use directions
- It’s well built and sturdy
- Simple to use
- Easy to wash and disassemble
- The shapes aren’t quite accurate, and the rod plunger has some kind of jagged edges, making washing a little tricky.
Check the product out on Amazon here:
7. HUAFA Cookie Biscuit Press/Icing Decorating Gun Sets
This model of Cookie Press is quite effective in its work and stylish in looks but is more expensive as compared to the other options available in the market. Also the size of this model is bigger as compared to the others and this makes it sturdy too. The structure of this model is capable enough to handle a tough dough and can produce a lot of cookies and Cheese Straws for you and your family to enjoy.
This set is accompanied by 13 stainless steel biscuit stencils and 8 stainless steel icing nozzles and thus, this model can fulfill many purposes. Like it can be used to decorate the cakes with the icing and Cheese Straws, obviously, can be made using this Cookie Press. One of the noticeable differentiation and a slight disadvantage of this model is that it doesn’t have a transparent cylindrical structure and thus, you can’t keep a track of how much dough is used etc. Rest this model, though a bit expensive, does everything else quite effectively.
How to make Cheese Straws?
I hope you all are completely set to enjoy this delightful snack. So, let’s begin with the recipe.
Firstly, let’s have a look at the ingredients that will be needed to prepare it.
- Softened butter
- A 1 lb block of sharp cheddar
- Ground red pepper
- All-purpose flour
Now, having gathered all the ingredients, your first step will be to shred the cheese.
Once this is done, go ahead and mix butter, cheese, salt, pepper and paprika to turn it into a delicious paste.
Make sure you mix it gently but quite well. Keep adding the flour to it slowly and gradually and then you will ultimately end up having a good cheesy dough.
Now it’s time for you to choose the shape of the snack you wish to have and accordingly choose the plate of that same design and adjust it on the end where there is a hole.
Having done this, push the dough from one end of the press so that it passes through the cookie press and turns it into a ribbon as per the shape in the plate chosen by you. Once this is done, cut it into small pieces and bake it in the oven at the temperature of about 350°F for a time period of about 10 minutes. Once they are nicely browned, leave them in a wire tray for about 30 minutes.
Now, you are all set to have your tasty Cheese Straws with a soup or in a salad, as per your tastes and preferences and enjoy this snack delight.
However, one point of caution while making the Cheese Straws using Cookie Press is to make sure to follow the instructions given by the manufacturer to ensure that you don’t end up ruining your food.
Now the question is what are the features you should look for when you are purchasing the Cookie Press.
Further in this article, I’ll be stating what are the features you should look for in a Cookie Press and what are some of the recommendations regarding the best Cookie Press.
So, without further ado, let’s move ahead.
What should I look for in a Cookie Press?
You must first ensure that all the basic parts of the Cookie Press are there in the package.
Apart from those, you must look for the set which would be more durable and will be easy to handle and use. The set being easy to clean will be yet another plus point which might affect your decision. The ease with which the Cookie Press dispenses the dough and the number of attachments in the package might also be a differentiating factor.
Thus, above stated are some of the points to be considered while purchasing a Cookie Press.
We can conclude this article by saying that there are many varieties of food items available in the market and many recipes which can be cooked at home.
However, those would taste authentic and best only if they are prepared using the ideal kitchen equipment and the ingredients.
This is the case with Cheese Straws too.
You must have the best model of Cookie Press to make the well and uniformly designed straws to be then cooked and enjoyed with delight.
I hope that some of the suggestions regarding the best model of Cookie Press stated in this article along with the recipe of Cheese Straws would help you make the best decision regarding model as per your need and cook the best Cheese Straws.
In conclusion, cheese straws make a great part of a family dinner to complement the food, or simply as a tasty little treat to keep you going all day. I hope the list I provided would help you pick the right cookie press for all your cheese straw needs.