Something smells good in your kitchen and it’s all thanks to your rice cooker , isn’t it ?
A rice cooker is a small compact yet an effective tool to help you cook , as the name clearly gives away , rice at all times . The rice cooker is made up of three sub components :
- Non stick inner bowl : It is made of non stick material so that rice does not stick to the inner parts of the body .
- Thermostat control : It is present on the outer part of the body so that the rice is not over cooked or under cooked . They both don’t taste good, trust me !
- Heating Element : You can’t actually cook something without heating anything up . A heating element is the most essential part for any electrical appliance in your kitchen that helps you make stuff you and your stomach , both appreciate .
So how do you actually use one of these ?
Well , the steps mentioned below would help you :
- Measure the amount of rice that you want to be cooked .
- Wash the rice with clean water to remove excessive bran and starch .
- To achieve rice which is evenly cooked , make sure that you spread it all over the inner body evenly .
- Add the correct amount of water for the rice to be cooked .
- After covering the lid , set the temperature settings to “WARM” .
- Keep the lid closed for 10 – 15 minutes for optimum quality .
- Make sure any condensed steam runs back into the inner bowl .
- Stir and serve the rice hot . Stirring helps in freeing up any rice grains that might be stuck together .
Steps to wash rice grains :
- Pour Your Rice in the Bowl
- Pour water over the rice
- Use hands to stir the rice
- Pour out starchy water.
- Rinse and repeat the process 5 – 6 times
But you might come across one simple problem even if you follow the most perfect recipe to cook the simplest of all items , i.e. , rice !
So what do you think the problem is ? Well , it’s quite simple actually , the rice cooker over boils . Why does this happen ? Can we do something to prevent it? Did you lose your money when you bought this machine ?
The answers are to your welfare , honestly .Let’s answer our questions one by one .
So , why does our rice cooker over boil?
It is primarily because of the fact that rice contains huge amounts of starch . As soon as you plug in your rice cooker to an electric source , the heat is supplied to the inside of the machine . With the upraise in the temperature of water inside the container , the boiling water mixes with the starch in the rice grains , creates large bubbles and expands beyond the capacity of the rice cooker .The bubbles are large and foamy and keep on expanding with the rise in temperature , and hence can cause the rice cooker to boil over .
Another popular reason for any rice cooker to boil water is the amount of water poured in it along with the rice . Excess amounts of water in the basin of the machine can upset your rice cooker just like uncooked rice can upset your guests . A huge amount of water along with excessive starch in the rice is a bad combination for you and for your rice cooker as well .
How do we solve this problem ?
The solution isn’t too difficult to understand , right ? The problem was caused due to excessive water in the first place , so why not just change that and add less water . It sounds good , but it might not help you always .
Different types of rice require different cooking time and different amounts of water which should be used to cook them . Other problems are reducing the amount of water might lead to undercooking of the rice . So , let us dig into carefully thought and more meaningful solutions . They are listed below !
- Choosing the right rice : We now know that any rice which has large quantities of starch can cause your rice cooker to over boil . So , to prevent this , we need to choose the right quality of rice to put into our cookers . Choosing the right brands of rice which contain less amounts of starch is important . Some of the are :
- Long grain white rice
- Washing the rice before cooking : As mentioned earlier in the article , washing the rice is the first and foremost step to cook it , no matter how you do it . Excessive amounts of starch can be rubbed off rice grains with proper and thorough cleaning . It also helps to remove dust particles and other stuff that might be mixed with the rice grains .
- Quantity of the rice cooker : A rice cooker comes in various sizes and depending on the size of your wallet , you might choose the one best suitable for you . But , if your budget isn’t a factor , buying a big size rice cooker can solve the problem of over cooking , even if you add more water , knowingly or unknowingly .
With this , we have reached the end of this article and I have mentioned all the common ways to solve your problem of over boiling of rice cookers .
Hope you have a great meal !