Pops explode into flocculent and crunchy munching snacks upon heating with oil, but the right oil makes a noticeable difference in taste and health benefits. The fun begins when you deal with the right oil for popcorn, which is nutritious, flavorful, easy to handle, affordable, and conveniently available. To compliment your weekend movie nights, I came up with a list that gathers the best oils for popcorn in 2023!
When buying any edible, the first thing you have in your mind is the FLAVOR! There are different oils based on flavors in the market, including butter, peanut, almond, olive, coconut, and many more.
You have the freedom to choose as per your preference, but don’t forget to keep the handy buying instructions given at the end of this article to make a finger-licking-good purchase.
- Baja Precious Sunflower Oil – Best Oil For Popcorn
- Amish Country Popcorn Canola Oil – Best Oil For Making Popcorn
- Snappy Popcorn Peanut Oil – Healthiest Oil For Popcorn
Best Oil for Popcorn 2023
1. Baja Precious Sunflower Oil – Best Oil For Popcorn
The first product on this list is by Baja Precious, a US-based company. The corporation has a reputable position in the oil industry for selling the best quality products at reasonable prices. Mostly, American people prefer the items manufactured in their own country over the ones made in China, Japan, or other regions. That’s opinionated, but if you think so, then Baja Precious Oil is a perfect choice for you!
The Baja sunflower oil is made with all-organic ingredients and non-GMO oil. “non-GMO” refers to any product manufactured without being genetically modified, not itself or its ingredients.
A GMO product has various advantages as it causes allergic reactions in humans, decreases the nutritious value of food items, and deteriorates the environment. Therefore, specific testing and traceability provisions are made, after which a product would be called non-GMO.
This sunflower oil is multi-purpose and can be used for cooking, massaging, moisturizing, making soaps, and so on. But I found it great for popcorn because it is light and does not have an intense aroma.
Popcorn is not a meal; you eat it while watching a movie, chilling with your friends or family, etc., so people, including me, cannot consume heavy items for munching only. In this sense, sunflower oil is the best option to make popcorn, whether in your machine, microwave, or stove.
When it comes to a food item, health effects are considerable too. Sunflower oil is proven to be safe, as it improves cardiac health, skin condition, asthma, cancer, hair condition, arthritis, and a lot more. You’ll see the main benefits of sunflower oil after its long-term use, of course, because popcorns take a minute quantity of it.
Moreover, it has a higher oleic concentration than standard sunflower oil, which is healthier. It is the best substitute for “BUTTER” and is highly recommended for cooking various items.
The packaging of Baja Sunflower oil is average as it comes in a plastic bottle, which is not very durable, but that’s okay with its reasonable price. The volume of this product is 128 fluid ounces, and if you can use it only for popcorn, it will cover months.
- Supernumerary for butter
- Plastic packaging
In a nutshell, the Baja precious sunflower oil comes with a high oleic concentration, which is why it is healthier than other oils. It can be used for versatile cooking, moisturizing, and more.
I found it great for making popcorn as it is light and healthy and can substitute for butter. The packaging is not very impressive, but if you have a separate jar or bottle for oil storage in your kitchen, then it’s a perfect choice.
2. Amish Country Popcorn Canola Oil – Best Oil For Making Popcorn
Unquestionably, you can use any oil to make popcorn, but the one intended to serve that purpose brings a market-like taste and aroma. The Amish country is a popcorn oil that comes in a buttery flavor—one of the popcorn’s most liked flavors. I love the balance of salt and butter; this oil brings the popcorn. If you want to make popcorn and try some other recipes using this butter-flavor oil, you can read their recipe guide book, which has fifteen different recipes.
Besides its delicious flavor, this oil also has nutritional benefits. The canola oil has omega 3 and omega 6 (fatty acids), proven as one of the healthiest additions to your meal. Plus, it contains seven percent saturated fat that reduces your cholesterol count upon prolonged use.
Trust me; this canola oil holds a record of the slightest saturated fat concentration! I prefer canola oil in cooking because it is rich in vitamins, particularly E and K, and helps minimize skin-related problems like acne, blemishes, spots, or wrinkles.
The health benefits don’t end there because this canola puts a lot more into your diet. It is a gluten-free oil with no wheat, rye, triticale, or barley protein. A gluten-free diet is like a treat to your body because it improves the digestive system like magic, reduces inflammation, and helps in your weight loss journey more inclusively. Over that, this canola oil is also a non-GMO product and has zero side effects, so as health-conscious, I’m thankful to the manufacturers of this healthiest oil.
- Gives nice color
- Flavor could be more enhanced
In conclusion, this is one of the healthiest canola oils I have ever used. It is gluten-free, non-GMO, contains low saturated fat, has a good amount of fatty acids and vitamins, and whatnot. It is truly a blessing to your popcorns and other food items because of its benefits and good butter flavor. You can find this oil in a nearby market, but of course, the easiest way is to grab it from Amazon.
3. Snappy Popcorn Peanut Oil – Healthiest Oil For Popcorn
Winter is incomplete without nuts, isn’t it? Munching popcorn in a peanut flavor sounds like a flavorful combination, and to satisfy those cravings, I came up with the Snappy popcorn oil that comes in a popcorn flavor. The link I put here is of a one-gallon product, but you can find other quantities as well. If you want an oil with no artificial coloring or additional supplements, this is a perfect choice. There is a lot more to reveal about this popcorn oil so let’s dig in.
The nutritional benefits associated with this popcorn oil are abundant. It is fat-less, cholesterol-less, and has the least amount of saturated fats, so it intentionally reduces the cholesterol level and cardiac problems in humans. In addition, it is a good source of antioxidants that provides relief from numerous illnesses like diabetes, cancer, heart attack, and more. According to Human Biology, a body must have a particular concentration of antioxidants; otherwise, results would be harmful.
It comes in a plastic bottle, so you better pour it in some other fancy-looking jar that matches your kitchen’s profile. There is no need to place this oil in the refrigerator or other cool places because it is pourable at standard room temperature. Since it is a gallon, you cannot pour it directly onto the pan, so you’ve two methods: one is to get an oil or syrup pump that gets attached to the bottle, or secondly you manage it in portions using some other bottle or jar, as I said above.
Furthermore, this peanut oil is BPA-free which means it has no Bisphenol-A, an organic compound primarily used in making bottles, cutlery, containers, plates, and more. In simple words, you can call it an environmentally-friendly oil. It is also friendly to its users, as it is a gluten-free product, which means it has no wheat protein. If you’re on a diet plan for weight loss, this peanut oil will help you incredibly. However, it is not at all a good choice for peanut allergens.
- Great for popcorns
- Pourable at room temperature
In short, this peanut-flavored oil compliments the popcorn by enhancing its flavor and aroma. It comes with endless health benefits and dramatically helps people cut down fat and calories. As an environmentalist, I found this oil perfect because it has no BPA plastic, detrimental to the motherland.
Things You Need To Know!
Types Of Oil
There are different types of oil available in the market, amongst which choosing one is a tricky job to do. In my opinion, canola oil is an excellent choice for making popcorn, but that’s opinionated, which means you might like sunflower oil. Therefore, I am explaining the most common oil types below to help you choose the best:
People who’re health conscious like me should prefer canola oil for cooking. It is extracted from organic grape seed and has high concentrations of MUFA and low concentrations of saturated fats. It brings abundant health benefits like lowering cardiac risks, regulating blood pressure, reducing diabetes, and more. Besides nutritional advantages, it has a mild taste that compliments the popcorn.
In terms of nutritional value, olive oil ranks at its peak. It contains a good amount of unsaturated fats and has an immense olive flavor, making your popcorn tastier and healthier. It is a versatile oil used for salad dressings, cooking, and more. However, it costs more than other oils.
Peanut oil has a nutty flavor, making popcorn or another munching snack tastier. I love the aroma of peanut this oil brings, which creates a cozy vibe in your home theater. This oil contains low saturated fats, antioxidants, and vitamins, which is why it is amongst the healthiest options out there. People who are allergic to peanuts or nuts should find some other flavors.
Sunflower oil is one of the commonly used oils in today’s market. It has a mild and light flavor, so it is suggested to use for snacks like popcorn. If you’re concerned about the healthiness of sunflower oil, there’s no need to worry as it contains low saturated fats, PUFA and MUFA.
When it comes to a food item, nutritional benefits matter the most. This can be determined by the ingredients used in making each oil, but generally try to avoid genetically modified products or contain gluten and high content of saturated fats. I found Amish country popcorn oil great for its health benefits.
Since you have countless options in the market, you should end up with an affordable one. Some best oils are nutritious, flavorful, and inexpensive, like Baja Precious sunflower oil; you need to be a little wise. But, please never end up compromising the quality over price.
What is the best oil to use for popcorn?
In my opinion, canola oil is best for popcorn because of its nutritional benefits. Olive oil, walnut oil, and avocado oil are other promising options if you’re going to make popcorn over the stove. Sunflowers are light and mild. However, I don’t prefer coconut oil because it is not so pourable at room temperature and has a high saturated fat content.
Does it matter what oil you use for popcorn?
Yes! The choice of oil matters regardless of what you’re making because it plays a role in a snack’s healthiness, taste, and aroma. You’ll see the difference between popcorns made with healthy oil or low-quality oil. So, choose wisely!
Is Homemade popcorn healthy?
Making popcorn at home is always a fun experience. In the list of good snacks for your health, homemade popcorn ranks at the top as it is whole grain, containing high fiber. According to nutritionists, popcorn reduces certain illnesses like diabetes, heart problems, or even cancers.
Conclusion – The Favorite One!
Making popcorn at home is fun unless you’re not using cheap ingredients. The right kind of oil for making popcorn matters because it defines the taste, aroma, and healthiness. Therefore, I have summed up the best market products under this category, amongst which my top preference is:
Baja Precious is a high oleic sunflower oil that brings abundant health benefits and pleasing aroma and taste.
Moreover, I have also explained the types of different oils with their nutritional status, so consider those accordingly. By reading this blog, I hope your home theater experience will be doubled up in fun and healthfulness.
Healthy Living = Happy Living
If these weren’t enough, check out some ohter picks from Amazon also:
- One 5-ounce can of Kelapo Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Cooking Spray
- Convenient spray coats baking pans and frying pans to form a nonstick surface
- 100% natural and unrefined; vegetarian; organic
- Fair Trade Approved; produced in Sri Lanka
- Use as an all-natural alternative to other cooking sprays
- NEW 2022 HARVEST: Authentic, fresh taste with notes of green olive and fresh-cut grass; green, intense fruitiness with a notable peppery finish and...
- SUPERFOOD: Extra virgin olive oil rich in polyphenols (> 900 mg/kg) such as oleocanthal and oleuropein; Low acidity, less than 0.30%; High...
- AWARD-WINNING PRODUCER: La Ranocchiaia consistently ranks among top olive oil producers in prestigious Flos Olei Guide with +95/100 score; USDA...
- PERFECT GIFT: Olive Oil Gift, as Host Gift or Business Gift; Leaflet with producer info and product features; Single source olive oil from a small...
- USES AND PAIRINGS: Versatile olive oil ideal for salad, vegetable soups, dipping, and most meat and fish dishes; Ultra-premium cooking oil to elevate...
- Great on Burgers & Steaks with Salt & Pepper.
- Stand Alone Salad Dressing.
- Makes your Veggies even MORE AWESOME.
- Drizzle on a Bagel Right Out of Toaster.
- Pop your Popcorn with it, YUM.
- SMOOTH EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL: Expertly crafted by The Olive Oil People, this extra virgin olive oil is made from first cold pressed olives, grown and...
- SMOOTH, DELICATE TASTE: Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oils are ideal for any meal that starts with a sauté and ends with a drizzle. With its smooth,...
- 100% FARMER CRAFTED: Quality from The Olive Oil People since 1906.
- IMPORTED, FIRST COLD PRESSED EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL: Certified for Authenticity by the North American Olive Oil Association (NAOOA).
- COMMITTED TO QUALITY: Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil is Naturally Gluten Free and Non-Allergenic, Kosher, and Non-GMO Verified by the Non-GMO...
- NATURALLY EXTRACTED and NUTRIENT DENSE: Nutiva’s all-natural steam refined coconut oil combined with organic, non-GMO botanical extracts yields a...
- NON-DAIRY BUTTERY FLAVOR: Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil is blended with creamy and rich Butter Flavor made from pure certified organic non-GMO plants...
- VERSATILE ALTERNATIVE TO BUTTER: Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Butter Flavor is excellent for sauteing and baking, and is a perfect substitute for...
- COMMITMENT TO QUALITY: Nutiva partners with organic farmers to source the world’s finest fresh, organic coconuts and stringently adheres to USDA...
- EASY TO USE PACKAGING: Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Butter Flavor is packaged in safe, convenient, BPA-free packaging.
- MOVIE NIGHT GO-TO: La Tourangelle White Truffle Popcorn Spray is the perfect way to elevate any movie night or quick meal. Just a spritz of our spray...
- DELICIOUS & VERSATILE: Great for spraying over popcorn, pizza, fries, or roasted veggies, our White Truffle popcorn Spray provides a delicious flavor...
- NATURAL & SUSTAINABLE: Our chemical-free, 100% Pure premium Artisan Popcorn oils are propellant-free (won't explode!), Non-GMO, and expeller-pressed.
- KITCHEN? YOU MEAN ART STUDIO: From Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil to our award-winning Toasted Sesame Oil & flavorful White Truffle Oil, La...
- Quality you can taste: La Tourangelle brings Artisan excellence to your kitchen and home. The mainstay of all La tourangelle’s natural, artisanal...
- Eco-friendly, non-stick cooking spray
- No propellants or artificial additives
- Harvested from olives grown under conditions that help protect the fruit’s natural antioxidants and the environment
- Robust flavor and high in a “good” amount of monosaturated fat
- Contains 5 lb, 12 oz of Orville Redenbacher's Original Yellow Gourmet Popcorn Kernels
- Orville Redenbacher's Original Yellow Gourmet Popping Corn Kernels are premium popping at its finest, giving you delicious popcorn with a crispy...
- Use Orville Redenbacher's Original Yellow Gourmet Popcorn Kernels to make a simple, wholesome popcorn snack on your stovetop, air popper, or electric...
- 100% natural, Non-GMO Project Verified
- 100% whole-grain, gluten free popcorn
- Recreate the delicious taste of movie theater popcorn at home with Kernel Season’s Movie Theater Butter Oil
- With only 120 calories per serving
- 28 servings per jar, 1 tbsp. per serving
- Certified Gluten Free and Kosher
- Proudly made in the US